8.3 Customizing Co-Branded Pages
With co-branding you can apply your own design to both your homepage with Fotki and your web pages displaying your photos placed on Fotki. Add your own text, buttons, links, or other customized content to every page. Create your own unique headers, footers, navigation menus - you say what!
To make such changes, some special knowledge is preferred. If you choose to do the coding yourself, you will have to acquaint yourself with HTML, a special computer language for designing web pages that web browsers read. It is quite easy to learn; the basic code is remarkably easy and basic HTML skills can be acquired in a few short hours if not minutes.
To begin with, visit W3Schools. On this site, HTML tutorial and Web Building tutorial will teach you all the fundamental techniques you'll need to build yourself a personal website.
A tutorial on CSS (CSS stands for Cascading Style Sheets) will instruct you how to add style sheet declarations to fine-tune the presentation of your pages and to use CSS to control the style and layout of multiple Web pages all at once. Experienced users can find out more about CSS at Cascading Style Sheets, level 2 Specification.
Next, a HTML editor of the WYSIWYG-type (WYSIWYG is short for "What You See Is What You Get") will be extremely handy for a tyro. Such is the "Composer", a free HTML editor included into the "Mozilla Suite". It has improved CSS support and enables you to see on the display screen exactly what will appear when your web page will be viewed over Internet.
To apply advanced changes:
- Make sure you are logged in and go to your "My Account" page.
- In the "Settings" section, click [ change ] opposite the "Co-Branding" subtitle to open this subsection.
- On the "Co-Branding" page, pick some skin and click on the "Modify" button beneath it or click on the "Edit Custom Skin" button in the bottom of the page.
- You will find yourself on the screen with the "Custom HTML:" text area containing code of the skin selected. Use ##content## tag to define the place for your Fotki content. Make the necessary changes and click on the "Save Custom Skin" button.
- Go to http://YourUserName.fotki.com/ to view a new look and feel of your pages. On your own website, use this URL as a link to your photos.
Written on 2005-01-20 04:36:31 and updated on 2009-03-04 08:21:33.